Tuesday, July 23, 2013

DIY Clothes Rack

This was a project that probably will not be able to be replicated by many people out there. But I am hoping that at the very least it will inspire you to try and salvage anything you come across for free, or a piece of "junk" you see on the side of the road. I was working at a convenience store in college, and we had been given a new metal rack for our beef jerky, and were told we could dispose of the old one. My inspirational boss was trying to convince one of us that the rack could be used for something, and I eventually decided to take it home and see what magic I could work.
Ironic that a vegan is in possession of a rack previously used for beef?
I really wanted to be able to use this to store clothes, since I was going to be moving into an unfurnished house for a year, but was planning on moving 400 miles away at the end of the lease. So it seemed foolish to spend $100 or more on a dresser that I would probably be getting rid of in less than a year. 

The solution ended up being simple! I peeled off the Jack Links stickers and spray painted it a more bedroom friendly color. I purchased some closet storage units that are designed to velcro into a closet. I was able to velcro these onto the rack to fold sweaters and pants. I got a smaller one with drawers to store socks and tanks. 
There is even storage on top for jewelry boxes, and other miscellaneous items
I will admit, it is not the most attractive thing around. But it served its purpose for less than a year and I was able to dispose of it without guilt, since it would have been thrown away anyways! 

No comments:

Post a Comment